Not one of Germany’s fastest-growing import product categories posted a double-digit gain from 2010 to 2014.
The average increase for all German import products was 14.2% over that time frame.
Please note that this analysis is at the 2-digit Harmonized Tariff System code level, which is better for looking at trends as opposed to uncovering more targeted opportunities at the 6, 8 or 10-digit code level.
Fastest-Growing German Import Products
Listed below in descending order are the fastest-growing products imported into Germany. Also shown parentheses is the percentage increase in a product category’s imports for the 5-year period ending in 2014.
- Other manufactured products: Up by 79.7% (US$3,229,031,000)
- Oil seed: Up by 54.7% ($6,169,679,000)
- Clocks and watches: Up by 50.6% ($2,793,253,000)
- Cereals: Up by 46.5% ($3,463,532,000)
- Live animals: Up by 40.9% ($2,750,462,000)
- Footwear: Up by 38.5% ($10,978,864,000)
- Vehicles: Up by 35.2% ($107,196,572,000)
- Other base metals: Up by 34.9% ($2,053,798,000)
- Cereal, milk preparations: Up by 34.5% ($4,381,634,000)
- Sugar: Up by 32.1% ($2,145,789,000)
Purchases of imported sanitary pads and baby napkin liners led other manufactured products to its number one position as Germany’s fastest-growing import product category.
Germany importers also boosted their imports of rape or colza seeds used for animal feed, vegetable oil and biodiesel.
Wrist watches represent the largest components behind increasing import purchases for the clocks and watches product category.
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Imports, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on April 27, 2015
Trade Map, International Trade Centre, www.intracen.org/marketanalysis. Accessed on April 27, 2015