Globally, fresh eggs exported by country totaled US$1.9 billion in 2019. That dollar amount reflects a -9.9% decline for all fresh eggs shippers over the five-year period starting in 2015 when shipments were worth $2.1 billion. Year over year, the value of exported fresh eggs decreased -17.1% from 2018 to 2019.
According to the information portal Farm Flavor, eggs rank among the world’s 10 most popular food ahead of apples then soup.
Among continents, suppliers located in Europe sold the highest dollar worth of exported fresh eggs during 2019 with international shipments valued at $1.2 billion or approaching two-thirds (64.9%) of the global total. In second place were Asian exporters at 29.1% while 5.3% of worldwide shipments for fresh eggs originated from North America. Smaller percentages came from Latin America (0.3%) excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean, Oceania’s (0.2%) New Zealand and Australia, then Africa (also 0.2%).
For research purposes, the 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix is 047021 for fresh eggs in shell of domestic fowls (excluding eggs fertilized for incubation).
Top Fresh Eggs Exports by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of fresh eggs during 2019.
- Netherlands: US$470.7 million (24.5% of exported fresh eggs)
- Poland: $247.8 million (12.9%)
- Turkey: $215.8 million (11.2%)
- Malaysia: $139.3 million (7.2%)
- Germany: $134.3 million (7%)
- China: $111.6 million (5.8%)
- United States: $102.3 million (5.3%)
- Spain: $84.6 million (4.4%)
- Belgium: $54.5 million (2.8%)
- Russia: $30 million (1.6%)
- Belarus: $26.6 million (1.4%)
- Thailand: $24.2 million (1.3%)
- India: $22.7 million (1.2%)
- Latvia: $21.7 million (1.1%)
- France: $20.2 million (1.1%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 88.7% of global fresh eggs exported in 2019.
Among the top exporters, the fastest-growing exporters of fresh eggs since 2015 were: Russia (up 168.8%), Thailand (up 40.8%), Malaysia (up 22.7%) and Spain (up 8.1%).
Those countries that posted declines in their sales of exported fresh eggs were led by: France (down -47.6%), United States (down -44.4%), Belgium (down -32%), Belarus (down -31.2%) and India (down -16.3%).
The following countries posted the highest positive net exports for fresh eggs during 2019. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the surplus between the value of each country’s exported fresh eggs and its import purchases for that same commodity.
- Poland: US$240.2 million (net export surplus up 4% since 2015)
- Turkey: $215.7 million (down -1.7%)
- Netherlands: $212.1 million (down -22.2%)
- Malaysia: $138.8 million (up 22.5%)
- China: $111.6 million (down -6.7%)
- United States: $102.2 million (up 19.4%)
- Spain: $77.1 million (up 2.8%)
- Belarus: $26.6 million (down -31.2%)
- Thailand: $24.1 million (up 40.5%)
- India: $22.2 million (down -18.1%)
- Japan: $17.6 million (up 769.6%)
- Ukraine: $12.2 million (down -84.3%)
- Finland: $12.1 million (up 47.9%)
- Bulgaria: $10.6 million (up 104%)
- Latvia: $10.5 million (up 0.3%)
Overtaking Turkey in 2019, Poland generated the highest surplus in the international trade of fresh eggs. In turn, this positive cashflow confirms strong Polish competitive advantage for this specific product category.
The following countries posted the highest negative net exports for fresh eggs during 2019. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the deficit between the value of each country’s imported fresh eggs purchases and its exports for that same commodity.
- Germany: -US$405.4 million (net export deficit down -3% since 2015)
- Hong Kong: -$201.7 million (up 12.8%)
- Singapore: -$130 million (up 18.5%)
- Iraq: -$97.8 million (down -55.2%)
- Switzerland: -$42.2 million (up 4.1%)
- Syria: -$41 million (up 68.7%)
- Canada: -$34.3 million (down -65.8%)
- United Arab Emirates: -$33.3 million (down -42.5%)
- Kuwait: -$32.2 million (reversing a $7.9 million surplus)
- Austria: -$29.3 million (up 90.7%)
- France: -$29.1 million (up 2035.7%)
- Italy: -$26.4 million (down -37.4%)
- Qatar: -$23.4 million (down -23.7%)
- Macao, China: -$18.8 million (up 24.7%)
- United Kingdom: -$18 million (down -58.1%)
Germany incurred the highest deficit in the international trade of fresh eggs. In turn, this negative cashflow highlights Germany’s competitive disadvantage for this specific product category but also signals opportunities for fresh eggs-supplying countries that help satisfy the powerful consumer demand.
Exporters of Fresh Eggs Companies
Below are global producers, trading companies, agents, distributors or wholesalers that represent established players engaged in the international trade of fresh eggs. The home country for each entity is shown within parenthesis.
- Burnbrae Farms (Canada)
- Chickfriend (Netherlands)
- Poultry-Vision (Belgium)
- Rose Acre Farms (United States)
- Rose Acre Farms (United States)
- Suguna Foods (India)
- Swiss Farms (United States)
- Vital Farms (United States)
According to global trading platform Alibaba, the following suppliers are also examples of fresh eggs exporters. The home-country location for each business is shown within parentheses.
- Aldera Dis Ticaret Ve Danismanlik (Turkey)
- Aspro BV (Netherlands)
- Camar Agroalimentaria SL (Spain)
- Easy Connect (Germany)
- EuroCommerce Ltd (Ukraine)
- Konica Pheasant Breed Farm (China)
- Methos LLC (Poland)
- QL Deli Fresh (Malaysia)
Searchable List of Fresh Eggs Exporting Countries in 2019
You can change the presentation order by clicking the triangle icon at the top of the columns. An entry of 0% in the right-most column means that 2018 data was unavailable.
|Rank||Exporter||Exported Eggs (US$)||2018-9|
See also Top Milk Exporting Countries, Cheese Exports by Country and Chicken Exports by Country
Alibaba, Supplier showroom for chicken eggs. Accessed on May 19, 2020
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on May 19, 2020
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on May 19, 2020
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on May 19, 2020
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on May 19, 2020
Wikipedia, Poultry farming. Accessed on May 19, 2020