Nevertheless, China continues to prove its diversity in international trade markets by supplying a wide range of daily use items including lamps, handbags and women’s clothing.
The following list shows which Chinese exports generated the most money from sales during 2015. Unlike most information currently available on the web, the items below are detailed at the 4-digit tariff code level. This granularity can help entrepreneurs identify precisely which products in which China has strong competitive advantages over other nations.
Having many competitive advantages, like low labor costs and rich resources, has made China the world’s number one exporter.
Highest Value Chinese Export Products
Below are the 20 highest value Chinese export products shipped from the People’s Republic in 2015. Shown within brackets is the 4-digit harmonized tariff system code for each item.
- Phone system devices: US$213.2 billion (HTS code 8517)
- Computers, optical readers: $137.3 billion (8471)
- Integrated circuits/microassemblies: $70.1 billion (8542)
- Lamps, lighting, illuminated signs: $35.8 billion (9405)
- Liquid crystal/laser/optical tools: $34.0 billion (9013)
- Solar power diodes/semi-conductors: $33.6 billion (8541)
- Miscellaneous furniture: $29.2 billion (9403)
- Computer parts, accessories: $28.9 billion (8473)
- Automobile parts/accessories: $28.3 billion (8708)
- Cases, handbags, wallets: $28.3 billion (4202)
- TV receivers/monitors/projectors: $28.2 billion (8528)
- Electrical converters/power units: $26.6 billion (8504)
- Women’s clothing (not knit or crochet): $25.9 billion (6204)
- Footwear (rubber or plastic): $24.6 billion (6402)
- Seats (excluding barber/dentist chairs): $23.7 billion (9401)
- Insulated wire/cable: $21.4 billion (8544)
- Printing machinery: $21.1 billion (8443)
- Cruise/cargo ships, barges: $20.4 billion (8901)
- Jerseys, pullovers (knit or crochet): $19.7 billion (6110)
- Women’s clothing (knit or crochet): $19.4 billion (6104)
Among the items on the above list, lamps, lighting and illuminated signs posted the greatest increase from 2011 to 2015, up 183% in value.
In second place were integrated circuits and microassemblies — a category that gained 113.1%.
Two other fast-growing product categories were phone system appliances (up in global sales by 59.8%) and non-knit and uncrocheted women’s clothing (up 59.7%).
See also China Major Product Supply Advantages, China’s Top 10 Exports, China’s Top Import Partners and Fastest-Growing Chinese Export Products
International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database (GDP based on Purchasing Power Parity). Accessed on March 22, 2016
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports and World Population, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on March 22, 2016
Trade Map, International Trade Centre, www.intracen.org/marketanalysis. Accessed on March 22, 2016