Based on statistics from the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook Database, Jamaica’s total Gross Domestic Product amounted to $24.65 billion in 2015 (on a purchasing power parity basis).
Therefore, exports accounted for about 4.5% of total Jamaican economic output.
Given Jamaica’s population of 2.95 million people, the total $1.1 billion in 2015 Jamaican exports translates to roughly $375 for every person in the country.
Jamaica’s Top 10 Exports
The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Jamaican global shipments during 2015. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of Jamaica’s overall exports.
- Inorganic chemicals: US$484.7 million (43.8% of total exports)
- Ores, slag, ash: $144.6 million (13.1%)
- Beverages, spirits, vinegar: $120.8 million (10.9%)
- Sugar, sugar confectionery: $51.3 million (4.6%)
- Coffee, tea, spices: $40.7 million (3.7%)
- Vegetables: $35.6 million (3.2%)
- Miscellaneous food preparations: $28.2 million (2.5%)
- Vegetable/fruit preparations: $21.4 million (1.9%)
- Cereal/milk preparations: $14.4 million (1.3%)
- Fertilizers: $14.3 million (1.29%)
The coffee, tea and spices category showed the greatest increase since 2011 with a 52.7% gain (mostly coffee and to a lesser extent spices and tea). Exported fish were up 50.6% over the 5-year period ending in 2015. The vegetables category rose 34.8% during the same period. Miscellaneous food preparations improved by 26.3%.
Exported cereal or milk preparations didn’t fare as well, with those exports depreciating by -28.4%. Similarly, Jamaican sugar and sugar confectionery shipments fell in value by -21.2% over the 5-year period.
As of March 2016, Jamaica’s unemployment rate was 13.3% according to Trading Economics.
See also Fastest-Growing Jamaican Export Products, Cuba’s Top 10 Exports and Sugar Exports by Country
International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database (GDP based on Purchasing Power Parity). Accessed on August 19, 2016
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports and World Population, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on August 19, 2016
Trade Map, International Trade Centre, www.intracen.org/marketanalysis. Accessed on August 19, 2016