Based on statistics from the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook Database, Russia’s total Gross Domestic Product amounted to $3.548 trillion in 2015.
Therefore, exports accounted for about 13.9% of total Russian economic output.
Given Russia population of 142.5 million people, the total $492.1 billion in 2014 Russian exports translates to roughly $3,454 for every person in the country.
Russia’s Top 10 Exports
The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Russian global shipments during 2014. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from Russia.
- Oil: US$288,361,702,000 (58.6% of total Russian exports)
- Iron and steel: $20,202,919,000 (4.1%)
- Gems, precious metals, coins: $11,579,099,000 (2.4%)
- Machines, engines, pumps: $8,985,440,000 (1.8%)
- Fertilizers: $8,909,523,000 (1.8%)
- Wood: $7,638,190,000 (1.6%)
- Cereals: $6,972,489,000 (1.4%)
- Aluminum: $6,298,128,000 (1.3%)
- Inorganic chemicals: $5,079,839,000 (1.0%)
- Copper: $4,873,518,000 (1%)
Among Russia’s top 10 exports, the cereals product category posted the highest gain from 2010 to 2014 period up 191%.
In second-place was Russian machinery (up 70.1%) followed by the gems, precious metals and coins category (up 59%).
Not faring so well were Russian exports of inorganic chemicals (down 21.6%), aluminum (down 5.6%) and copper (down 1%)
Russia’s unemployment rate was 5.2% in 2014, an improvement from 5.8% in 2013.
Please note that the results listed above are at the 2-digit Harmonized Tariff System code level.
Top Russian Export Companies
According to global trade intelligence firm Zepol, the following companies are examples of leading Russian exporters for 2014:
- Valdetron Denmark APS (wood)
- Intertex World Resources (latex, transmission belts, carbon)
- Gazprom Export (natural gas, oil)
See also Russia Top Import Partners, Fastest-Growing Russian Export Products and Highest Value Russian Export Products
International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database (GDP based on Purchasing Power Parity). Accessed on April 29, 2015
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports and World Population, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on April 29, 2015
Trade Map, International Trade Centre, www.intracen.org/marketanalysis. Accessed on April 29, 2015
Zepol’s company summary highlights by country. Accessed on August 21, 2015