Global sales of fresh chicken shipments amounted to US$6.6 billion in 2018, while exported frozen chicken continues to attract much higher international sales at $16.1 billion.
Overall, the value of fresh chicken exports by country increased in value by an average 15.1% since 2014 when fresh chicken meat shipments were valued at $5.7 billion. In contrast, total frozen chicken meat shipments fell by -12.5% over the same 5-year period.
Six-digit Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) code prefixes are 020711 for whole fresh or chilled chicken, 020713 for fresh or chilled chicken cuts and offal, 020712 for whole frozen chicken and 020714 for frozen chicken cuts and offal. The statistics from those four HTS code prefixes were consolidated for the following analysis.
Chicken Exports by Country: Fresh
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of fresh or chilled chicken during 2018, encompassing both cut and uncut fresh meat.
- Netherlands: US$1.5 billion (22.3% of fresh poultry meat exports)
- Poland: $1.3 billion (19.6%)
- Belgium: $711.5 million (10.8%)
- United States: $542.7 million (8.2%)
- Germany: $442.6 million (6.7%)
- France: $239.8 million (3.6%)
- China: $226.5 million (3.4%)
- Belarus: $178.9 million (2.7%)
- Austria: $149.9 million (2.3%)
- Italy: $149.5 million (2.3%)
- Spain: $145.7 million (2.2%)
- Ukraine: $139.1 million (2.1%)
- Hungary: $111.3 million (1.7%)
- Romania: $109.7 million (1.7%)
- United Kingdom: $105.8 million (1.6%)
The above countries produced 91.1% of fresh chicken exports during 2018.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing fresh poultry exporters since 2014 were: Ukraine (up 5106.7%), Poland (up 95.5%), Austria (up 41.5%) and China (up 37%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported fresh poultry sales were led by: United States (down -33.6%), United Kingdom (down -24.3%), Hungary (down -22.2%) and Germany (down -20.5%).
Chicken Exports by Country: Frozen
Fresh chicken meat export leaders United States and Netherlands also make the list of major frozen chicken exporters. However, they fall well short of Brazil in topping international sales of frozen poultry.
Here are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of frozen chicken during 2018.
- Brazil: US$5.9 billion (36.6% of total frozen poultry meat exports)
- United States: $2.7 billion (16.6%)
- Netherlands: $1.2 billion (7.3%)
- Hong Kong: $896.3 million (5.6%)
- Poland: $731.7 million (4.6%)
- Thailand: $657 million (4.1%)
- Turkey: $547.9 million (3.4%)
- Ukraine: $365 million (2.3%)
- France: $299.1 million (1.9%)
- Chile: $290.4 million (1.8%)
- Argentina: $283 million (1.8%)
- China: $238.2 million (1.5%)
- Belgium: $235.8 million (1.5%)
- United Kingdom: $228.8 million (1.4%)
- Germany: $216.3 million (1.3%)
The 15 countries listed above shipped 91.6% of all exported frozen chicken meat for 2018.
Five among the above countries expanded their sales of frozen poultry exports since 2014 namely: Thailand (up 67.5%), Poland (up 44.8%), Chile (up 33.7%), Ukraine (up 33.6%) and Hong Kong (up 18.4%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported frozen poultry exports sales were led by: Argentina (down -48.2%), France (down -39.4%), Germany (down -23.4%) and United States (down -22.9%).
See also Top Fresh or Frozen Chicken Imports by Country
, Big Export Sales for Frozen Shrimps, Top Beef Exporting Countries and Pork Exports by Country
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on May 4, 2019
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports – Commodities, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on May 4, 2019
Trade Map, International Trade Centre. Accessed on May 4, 2019