Based on statistics from the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook Database, Germany’s total Gross Domestic Product amounted to $3.621 trillion in 2014.
Therefore, exports accounted for about 41.7% of total German economic output.
Given Germany’s population of 81 million people, the total $1.511 trillion in 2014 German exports translates to roughly $18,657 for every person in the country.
Germany’s Top 10 Exports
The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in German global shipments during 2014. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of Germany’s overall exports.
- Vehicles: US$267.8 billion (17.7% of total German exports)
- Machines, engines, pumps: $262.7 billion (17.4%)
- Electronic equipment: $147.4 billion (9.8%)
- Pharmaceuticals: $80.2 billion (5.3%)
- Plastics: $70.9 billion (4.7%)
- Medical, technical equipment: $68.6 billion (4.5%)
- Oil: $47.4 billion (3.1%)
- Aircraft, spacecraft: $47.4 billion (3.1%)
- Iron or steel products: $34.3 billion (2.3%)
- Organic chemicals: $33.5 billion (2.2%)
Among the top 10 German exports above, oil showed the greatest increase since 2010 up 78.2%. Aircraft and spacecraft were up 54.5% in the 5-year period ending in 2014. Exported German automobiles were up 31.8% over the same period, while plastics gained by 30.8%.
Electronic equipment exports didn’t fare as well, up only 10%
During 2014, Germany’s unemployment rate was 5%.
Top German Export Companies
According to global trade intelligence firm Zepol, the following companies are examples of leading German exporters for 2014:
- Andreas Stihl (hand tools, tool parts)
- Schaeffler Technologies (ball/roller bearings)
- BMW (vehicles, automotive parts)
- Volkswagen Logistics (vehicles, automotive parts)
See also Germany’s Top Import Partners, Fastest-Growing German Export Products and Highest Value German Export Products
International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database (GDP based on Purchasing Power Parity). Accessed on March 19, 2015
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports and World Population, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on March 19, 2015
Trade Map, International Trade Centre, www.intracen.org/marketanalysis. Accessed on March 19, 2015
Zepol’s company summary highlights by country. Accessed on August 21, 2015