Global exports for alcoholic beverages totaled US$90.3 billion in 2017, down by -0.4% from $90.7 billion during 2013.
At 42.6% of the worldwide total, liquor is the largest alcoholic beverage export category. International liquor sales depreciated by -4.3% from 2016 to 2017.
In contrast, exports of malt beer increased in value by 6.5% from $13.6 billion to $14.5 billion. Exported wine appreciated by 1.3% from $35.4 billion in 2013 to $35.9 billion in 2017.
Largest Alcoholic Beverages Companies
Below are the world’s largest alcoholic beverages companies ordered by total annual sales (both domestic and international) reported as of December 2018. Shown within parenthesis is the location where each conglomerate has its headquarters.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev: US$56.4 billion (Belgium) up 23.7%
- Heineken Holding: $24.7 billion (Netherlands) up 7.4%
- Asahi Group Holdings: $19.4 billion (Japan) up 23.6%
- Kirin Holdings: $16.6 billion (Japan) down -13.1%
- Diageo: $15.7 billion (United Kingdom) up 3.3%
- Suntory Holdings: $11 billion (Japan) up 21.3%
- Molson Coors Brewing: $10.9 billion (United States) up 122.4%
- Pernod Ricard: $10.2 billion (France) up 5.2%
- Carlsberg: $9.4 billion (Denmark) up 1.1%
- Kweichow Moutai: $8.5 billion (China) up 70%
- Constellation Brands: $7.6 billion (United States) up 4.1%
- Thai Beverage: $5.6 billion (Thailand) up 5.7%
- Wuliangye Yibin: $4.4 billion (China) up 29.4%
- Brown-Forman: $3.2 billion (United States) up 6.7%
- Jiangsu Yanghe Brewery: $2.9 billion (China) up 11.5%
From 2017 to the latest reporting period, an American beverage giant Molson Coors Brewing posted the fastest increase in international sales via its 122.4% gain. Two Chinese behemoths, Kweichow Moutai (up 70%) and Wuliangye Yibin (up 29.4%) reported the next strongest year-over-year sales improvements.
Japan’s Kirin Holdings was the sole decliner thanks to its -13.1% slowdown in sales compared to 2017.
Please note that company sales may include products other than alcoholic beverages. Companies like Asahi Group Holdings also sells non-alcoholic products like soft drinks. Others like Wuliangye Yibin make products for other industries ranging from precision plastic products and car molds to electronics and logistics services.
See also Wine Exports by Country, Top Vodka Exporters and Beer Exports by Country
Forbes 2017 Global 2000 individual company profiles, Example of top alcoholic beverages company compiled for this study: Anheuser-Busch InBev. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Forbes 2017 Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Suntory Holdings Net Sales, Financial Information. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Suntory Holdings Overview, Alcoholic Beverages Percentage Total Sales (37%). Accessed on December 12, 2018
Trade Map, International Trade Centre. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Wikipedia, Category: Brand name alcohol products. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Wikipedia, Grupo Modelo. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Wikipedia, International Federation of Spirits Producers. Accessed on December 12, 2018
Wikipedia, SABMiller. Accessed on December 12, 2018