Among continents, countries in Oceania sold over two-thirds (70.3%) of exported goat meat during 2019 with shipments valued at $176.9 million led by Australia and New Zealand. In second place were exporters in Europe at 20.9% while 4.5% of worldwide shipments of goat meat originated from Asia. Smaller percentages came from Africa (3.6%), North America (0.4%) and Latin America (0.2%) excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean.
For research purposes, the 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix is 020450 for fresh, chilled or frozen goat meat.
Top Goat Meat Exports by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of goat meat during 2019.
- Australia: US$166.2 million (66% of exported goat meat)
- France: $19.8 million (7.8%)
- Spain: $14.5 million (5.8%)
- New Zealand: $10.7 million (4.2%)
- China: $10.6 million (4.2%)
- Greece: $8.6 million (3.4%)
- Ethiopia: $6.7 million (2.7%)
- Netherlands: $3.4 million (1.3%)
- Italy: $2.2 million (0.9%)
- Kenya: $2 million (0.8%)
- Ireland: $1.7 million (0.7%)
- Romania: $1 million (0.4%)
- United States: $996,000 (0.4%)
- Argentina: $590,000 (0.2%)
- Germany: $523,000 (0.2%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 99.1% of global goat meat exported in 2019.
Among the top exporters, the fastest-growing exporters of goat meat since 2015 were: Ireland (up 1,783%), Romania (up 909.7%), Italy (up 405.1%) and Argentina (up 220.7%).
Five countries posted declines in their exported goat meat sales: Ethiopia (down -92.3%), Kenya (down -76.9%), China (down -43.2%), Australia (down -10.7%) and the United States (down -10%).
The following countries posted the highest positive net exports for goat meat during 2019. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the surplus between the value of each country’s exported goat meat and its import purchases for that same commodity.
- Australia: US$166.1 million (net export surplus down -10.7% since 2015)
- France: $12.9 million (down -9.7%)
- New Zealand: $10.7 million (up 128.4%)
- China: $9 million (down -40.9%)
- Greece: $8.3 million (up 165.5%)
- Spain: $8.2 million (up 1.1%)
- Ethiopia: $6.7 million (down -92.3%)
- Netherlands: $3 million (up 63.9%)
- Kenya: $1.9 million (down -77.3%)
- Ireland: $1.5 million (up 2,050%)
- Romania: $1 million (up 1,325%)
- Argentina: $590,000 (up 220.7%)
- Zimbabwe: $203,000 (no 2015 data)
- Nigeria: $154,000 (no 2015 data)
- Pakistan: $83,000 (down -99.6%)
Australia generated the highest surplus in the international trade of goat meat. In turn, this positive cashflow confirms Australia’s strong competitive advantage for this specific product category.
The following countries posted the highest negative net exports for goat meat during 2019. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the deficit between the value of each country’s imported goat meat purchases and its exports for that same commodity.
- United States: -US$137.7 million (net export deficit up 46.1% since 2015)
- Saudi Arabia: -$15.3 million (down -41%)
- Taiwan: -$12.4 million (down -2%)
- Portugal: -$11.5 million (up 21.8%)
- South Korea: -$9.4 million (up 16.3%)
- Trinidad/Tobago: -$9 million (down -1.6%)
- Canada: -$8.7 million (down -3.8%)
- Italy: -$7.1 million (down -19%)
- Hong Kong: -$6.1 million (down -15.2%)
- Japan: -$3.5 million (up 82.9%)
- Somalia: -$2 million (reversing a $5.5 million surplus)
- Switzerland: -$1.9 million (down -37%)
- Sri Lanka: -$1.5 million (up 119%)
- United Kingdom: -$1.4 million (down -9.1%)
- Germany: -$994,000 (up 16%)
The United States of America incurred the highest deficit in the international trade of goat meat. In turn, this negative cashflow highlights America’s competitive disadvantage for this specific product category but also signals opportunities for goat meat-supplying countries that help satisfy the powerful demand.
Goat Meat Exporting Companies
According to global trading platform Alibaba, the following suppliers are examples of fresh or frozen goat meat-trading exporters. The home-country location for each business is shown within parentheses.
- Agak Company Ltd (Kenya)
- Al-Muqeet International (Pakistan)
- Carnicas J Colomer Sau (Spain)
- Eiffel International Trade (France)
- Ethiopian General Import/Export (Ethiopia)
- I. Braditsas “Trofino” S.A (Greece)
- Parsa Enterprises Pty Ltd (Australia)
- Qingdao UnionGold Trade Co (China)
See also Top Beef Exporting Countries, Pork Exports by Country, Chicken Exports by Country and Top Sheep and Lamb Meat Exports
Alibaba, Supplier showroom for goat meat. Accessed on May 20, 2020
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on May 20, 2020
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on May 20, 2020
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on May 20, 2020
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on May 20, 2020