Close behind is computer services behemoth Alphabet which also owns the world’s preeminent search engine Google.
This analysis compares Apple and Alphabet against 8 other U.S. tech giants in terms of market capitalization, sales and profits. Also shown is the city where each global technology company has its headquarters.
Top 10 Largest American Global Technology Companies
Market capitalization refers the market value of a company’s outstanding shares at a certain point in time, typically used to classify companies by their size.
Below, you will find America’s largest technology companies by market capitalization at May 2017.
- Apple: US$752 billion (Up 28.3% from 2016)
- Alphabet (owns Google): $579.5 billion (Up 15.9%)
- Microsoft: $507.5 billion (Up 24.7%)
- Oracle: $182.2 billion (Up 7.9%)
- Intel: $170.3 billion (Up 14.1%)
- Cisco: $165.1 billion (Up 16.6%)
- IBM: $162.4 billion (Up 13.8%)
- Qualcomm: $83.2 billion (Up 7.6%)
- Hewlett-Packard: $29.4 billion (Down -2.1%)
- Dell Technologies: $13.5 billion (Down -74.0%)
The fastest-growing U.S. global tech firm from 2016 to May 2017 was Apple added by stock price appreciation. In second place was Microsoft followed by Cisco and Alphabet.
Top 10 U.S. Tech Firms by Sales
Galvanized by the continued worldwide success of its search engine Google, Alphabet grew its sales at the fastest pace from 2016 to May 2017.
- Apple: US$217.5 billion (Down -6.8% from 2016)
- Alphabet: $89.9 billion (Up 16.4%)
- Microsoft: $85.3 billion (Down -1.5%)
- IBM: $79.9 billion (Down -1.1%)
- Dell Technologies: $62.0 billion (Up 0.5%)
- Intel: $59.4 billion (Up 5.5%)
- Hewlett-Packard: $48.7 billion (Down -6.1%)
- Cisco: $48.6 billion (Down -2.1%)
- Oracle: $37.4 billion (Up 0.7%)
- Qualcomm: $23.8 billion (Up 5.2%)
Five of these mammoth technology businesses experienced sales declines: Apple (down -6.8%), Hewlett-Packard (down -6.1%), Cisco (down -2.1%), Microsoft (down -1.5%) and IBM (down -1.1%).
Top 10 U.S. Tech Firms by Profit
Microsoft boosted its profits by the greatest percentage from 2016 to May 2017, followed by computer services behemoth Alphabet.
- Apple: US$45.2 billion (Down -15.8% from 2016)
- Alphabet: $19.5 billion (Up 14.4%)
- Microsoft: $16.8 billion (Up 64.8%)
- IBM: $11.9 billion (Down -7.9%)
- Dell Technologies: -$3.7 billion (Reversing a $2 billion loss)
- Intel: $10.3 billion (Down -10.1%)
- Hewlett-Packard: $2.5 billion (Up 2.4%)
- Cisco: $9.8 billion (Down -4.9%)
- Oracle: $8.9 billion (Up 0.9%)
- Qualcomm: $4.9 billion (Down -0.3%)
In contrast, Dell Technologies incurred almost four billion in red ink at May 2017 while Apple posted the largest percentage drop since 2016.
Headquarters for Top 10 U.S. Tech Firms
Seven of the top 10 biggest American technology businesses have their headquarters in California, the most populous American state.
- Alphabet: Mountain View, California
- Apple: Cupertino, California
- Cisco: San Jose, California
- Dell Technologies: Round Rock, Texas
- Hewlett-Packard: Palo Alto, California
- IBM: Armonk, New York
- Intel: Santa Clara, California
- Microsoft: Redmond, Washington
- Oracle: Redwood City, California
- Qualcomm: San Diego, California
See also United States Top 10 Exports and Computer Device Exports by Country and US Imported Mobile Phone Purchases
Data.World Forbes Global 2000 2016 , Spreadsheet for 2016 Global 2000 rankings. Accessed on January 29, 2018
Forbes 2017 Global 2000 individual company profiles, Example of top US technology company compiled for this study: Dell Technologies. Accessed on January 29, 2018
Forbes 2017 Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on January 29, 2018
Investopedia, Market Capitalization Defined. Accessed on January 29, 2018
Wikipedia, Dell Technologies. Accessed on January 29, 2018