Among continents, European countries accounted for the highest dollar worth of exported heart pacemakers during 2015 with shipments valued at $5.1 billion or 90% of the global total.
In second place were North American exporters at 5.8% while 4% of worldwide pacemaker shipments originated from Asia.
The 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix is 902150 for pacemakers for stimulating heart muscles. This excludes pacemaker parts and accessories.
Heart Pacemaker Export Sales by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of heart pacemakers during 2015:
- Switzerland: US$1.5 billion (26.3% of total exported pacemakers)
- Ireland: $997.1 million (17.6%)
- Germany: $841.8 million (14.8%)
- Belgium: $562.1 million (9.9%)
- Netherlands: $557.5 million (9.8%)
- France: $523.3 million (9.2%)
- United States: $330.7 million (5.8%)
- Singapore: $217.6 million (3.8%)
- Italy: $115.6 million (2.0%)
- Spain: $6.7 million (0.1%)
- Malaysia: $5.3 million (0.09%)
- United Kingdom: $4.7 million (0.08%)
- Latvia: $3.6 million (0.063%)
- Australia: $3.5 million (0.062%)
- Turkey: $2.1 million (0.04%)
The listed 15 countries shipped 99.7% of all exported heart pacemakers in 2015 (by value).
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing heart pacemakers exporters since 2011 were: Belgium (up 4,922%), Singapore (up 3,035%), Latvia (up 858.8%) and Turkey (up 638%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported heart pacemakers sales were led by: Malaysia (down -80.9%), United Kingdom (down -73.8%), United States (down -46.1%) and Italy (down -37.8%).
The following countries posted the highest positive net exports for heart pacemakers during 2015. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the surplus between the value of each country’s exported heart pacemakers and its import purchases for that same commodity.
- Switzerland: US$1.4 billion (net export surplus up 49.4% since 2011)
- Ireland: $944 million (down -34.2%)
- Belgium: $262.2 million (down -517.1%)
- Singapore: $195.3 million (up 11,577%)
- Germany: $72.5 million (up 22.4%)
- Malaysia: $2.7 million (down -90%)
- Congo: $404,000 (down -5,871%)
Switzerland has the highest surplus in the international trade of heart pacemakers. In turn, this positive cashflow confirms Switzerland’s strong competitive advantage for this specific product category.
The following countries posted the highest negative net exports for heart pacemakers during 2015. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the deficit between the value of each country’s imported heart pacemaker purchases and its exports for that same commodity.
- United States: -US$385 billion (net export deficit up 92.1% since 2011)
- Japan: -$317.9 million (down -9.6%)
- France: -$262.7 million (down -21.4%)
- United Kingdom: -$234.6 million (up 34.4%)
- Netherlands: -$230.6 million (down -233.6%)
- Italy: -$208.8 million (up 30.9%)
- Australia: -$174.6 million (up 20.6%)
- China: -$159.3 million (up 70.9%)
- Spain: -$113.4 million (down -52.9%)
- Canada: -$99.8 million (down -15.8%)
- Poland: -$48.4 million (up 3.4%)
- Slovakia: -$36 million (up 73.1%)
- Venezuela: -$34.5 million (up 161.5%)
- Czech Republic: -$33.6 million (down -63.4%)
- Brazil: -$33.5 million (down -21.9%)
United States incurred the highest deficit in the international trade of heart pacemakers. In turn, this negative cashflow highlights America’s strong competitive disadvantage for this specific product category but also signals opportunities for heart pacemaker-supplying countries that help satisfy the powerful demand from American consumers.
Heart Pacemaker Exporting Companies
Below are global heart pacemaker-processing conglomerates that represent established players engaged in the international heart pacemaker trade. Their home country is shown within parenthesis.
- Biotronik (United States)
- Cardiac Pacemakers, Inc (United States)
- Guidant Corporation (United States)
- Medtronic (United States)
- St. Jude Medical (United States)
According to global trading platform Alibaba, the following suppliers are examples of heart pacemaker-trading exporters. The home-country location for each business is shown within parentheses:
- Dongguan Lei Bao Electronic Co Ltd (China)
- Dragon Medical Equipment ZJG Co Ltd (China)
- DSA Exports (India)
- Life Support Systems (India)
- Perlong Medical Equipment Co Ltd (China)
- Shenzhen HTWY Technology Co Ltd (China)
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports – Commodities, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on October 18, 2016
Trade Map, International Trade Centre. Accessed on October 18, 2016
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on October 18, 2016
Wikipedia, Cardiac pacemaker. Accessed on October 18, 2016
Alibaba, Supplier showroom for heart pacemaker. Accessed on October 18, 2016