Due to their high-energy density, tiny memory impact and low self-discharge rate, lithium ion batteries are one of the most common types of rechargeable batteries for portable electronics.
The overall value of lithium ion batteries exports increased by an average 13.4% for all exporting countries since 2018 when lithium ion batteries shipments were valued at $2.88 billion.
Year over year, revenues from exported lithium ion batteries slowed to a 1.7% gain from in 2022 compared to $3.21 billion during 2021.
The 5 biggest exporters of lithium batteries are the United States of America, mainland China, Singapore, Hong Kong and Indonesia. All told, those 5 major suppliers generated over half (55.2%) of overall exports for lithium batteries in 2022.
Among continents, suppliers in Asia shipped the highest dollar worth of lithium ion batteries during 2022 with international shipments valued at $1.74 billion or 53.3% of overall lithium battery exports. In second place were European exporters at 28.2% while another 17.8% of worldwide lithium ion batteries exportts originated from North America.
Tinier percentages came from sellers in Africa (0.29%), Oceania (0.27%) mostly Australia, then Latin America (0.14%) excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean.
For research purposes, the 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix for lithium ion batteries is 850650.
Lithium Ion Batteries Exports by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of lithium ion batteries during 2022.
- United States: US$488.7 million (15% of lithium ion battery exports)
- China: $476.7 million (14.6%)
- Singapore: $322.9 million (9.9%)
- Hong Kong: $281.6 million (8.6%)
- Indonesia: $229.9 million (7%)
- Germany: $199.4 million (6.1%)
- Japan: $164.7 million (5.1%)
- France: $141.2 million (4.3%)
- Netherlands: $119.8 million (3.7%)
- South Korea: $104.7 million (3.2%)
- Belgium: $90.5 million (2.8%)
- Poland: $81 million (2.5%)
- Israel: $66.7 million (2%)
- United Kingdom: $58.4 million (1.8%)
- Canada: $52 million (1.6%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 88.2% of all non-depleted lithium batteries exported in 2022.
Among the top exporters, the fastest-growing exporters of lithium ion batteries since 2021 were: Canada (up 37.1%), Israel (up 17%), South Korea (up 15.3%) and mainland China (up 9.7%).
Major suppliers that posted declines were led by: Japan (down -14.4% from 2021), Hong Kong (down -6.9%), United Kingdom (down -6.8%), Netherlands (down -5.7%) and Poland (down -5.1%).
Countries Garnering Largest Trade Surpluses from Lithium Ion Batteries
The following countries posted the highest positive net exports for lithium ion batteries during 2022. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the surplus between the value of each country’s exported lithium ion batteries and its import purchases for that same commodity.
- China: US$239.4 million (net export surplus up 39.7% since 2021)
- Indonesia: $202.3 million (up 0.9%)
- Japan: $110.2 million (down -22.5%)
- Singapore: $102.4 million (down -8.6%)
- United States of America: $69.3 million (down -20.3%)
- South Korea: $65.1 million (up 30%)
- Israel: $50.5 million (up 21.9%)
- France: $50.3 million (down -10.8%)
- Hong Kong: $38.3 million (up 1.6%)
- Pitcairn: $1,000 (2021 data unavailable)
Mainland China generated the highest surplus in the international trade of lithium ion batteries. In turn, this positive cashflow confirms China’s strong competitive advantage for this specific product category.
Countries Facing Worst Trade Deficits from Lithium Ion Batteries
The following countries posted the highest negative net exports for lithium ion batteries during 2022. Investopedia defines net exports as the value of a country’s total exports minus the value of its total imports. Thus, the statistics below present the deficit between the value of each country’s purchases of imported lithium ion batteries and its exports for that same commodity.
- Malaysia: -US$214.1 million (net export deficit up 12.7% since 2021)
- Mexico: -$146.9 million (up 13%)
- Italy: -$77.3 million (up 34.7%)
- United Kingdom: -$70.4 million (up 92.8%)
- Vietnam: -$65.9 million (down -56.7%)
- Switzerland: -$62.4 million (up 31.5%)
- Ireland: -$57.1 million (up 33.9%)
- Canada: -$54.3 million (up 57.2%)
- United Arab Emirates: -$31.9 million (up 392.9%)
- Russia: -$30.5 million (down -12%)
- Czech Republic: -$28.5 million (up 82%)
- Thailand: -$25.4 million (down -3.3%)
- Taiwan: -$24.9 million (down -10.4%)
- India: -$24.7 million (up 60.8%)
- Australia: -$23 million (up 27%)
Malaysia and Mexico incurred the triple-digit million dollar deficits in the international trade of lithium ion batteries. In turn, this negative cashflow confirms both countries’ competitive disadvantages for this specific product category but also signals opportunities for countries supplying lithium ion batteries thus helping to satisfy the powerful demand from pertinent businesses and consumers.
Lithium Ion Batteries Exporting Companies
Below are the largest global companies that supply lithium ion batteries. Shown within parenthesis is the country where the company is headquartered.
- Anco Macao Commercial Offshore Li (Macau)
- Black & Decker Suzhou Precision (China)
- Chervon Limited (Hong Kong)
- Samsung SDI Co Ltd (South Korea)
- Sanyo Electric Co Ltd (Japan)
According to global trading platform Alibaba, the following companies are also sellers of lithium ion batteries located in the country shown within parentheses.
- China Aviation Lithium Battery Co (China)
- Guangzhou Geilienergy Electronic Co (China)
- Masterhold International Co (Taiwan)
- Shenzhen Honghaosheng Electronics (China)
- Sun Fat Electric Products (International ) Co Ltd (Hong Kong)
Searchable List of Lithium Ion Batteries Exporting Countries in 2022
The automated database below showcases the 100 top suppliers of lithium ion batteries ranked by highest to lowest international sales. Collectively, those major exporters generated 99.994% of overall revenues from exports for this commodity.
|Rank||Exporter||Lithium Battery Exports||2021-2|
|52.||United Arab Emirates||$776,000||-96.6%|
|80.||US Minor Outlying Is||$25,000||-95.4%|
The fastest-growing sellers of lithium batteries from 2021 to 2022 are Kazakhstan (up 7,090%), Jordan (up 6,350%), Senegal (up 5,027%), Armenia (up 4,700%), Angola (up 2,940%) and Cyprus (up 2,850%).
You can change the presentation order by clicking the triangle icon at the top of any of the columns above. An entry of 0% in the right-most column means that no 2021 data was available.
See also Electronic Circuit Component Exports by Country, Computer Accessories Exports by Country, Computer Device Exports by Country, Best Solar & Wind Exporters Powering International Energy Sales and Electric Cars Exports by Country
Alibaba, Supplier information for lithium ion batteries. Accessed on August 30, 2023
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on August 30, 2023
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on August 30, 2023
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on August 30, 2023
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on August 30, 2023
Wikipedia, Lithium-ion battery. Accessed on August 30, 2023