Exported pistachios appreciated by 2.2% since 2018 when export sales for pistachios were $3.03 billion.
Year over year, overall export revenues shrank via -15.1% drop compared to $3.65 billion in 2022 for the smoothly textured and slightly sweet seed.
About three fifths (60.2%) of globally exported pistachios were in-shell compared to 39.8% sold with their shells removed.
Pistachios seeds come from the fruits of small desert trees highly tolerant of salt-water soil. The shells of the pistachio are often dyed from their natural beige color to a distinctive red or green for commercial sale.
Consumers eat pistachios raw or roasted and salted. Pistachio nuts are key ingredients in special varieties of ice cream, spumoni, pistachio butter and pastes. Shelled pistachios are also the chopped nuts in the layered pastry dessert Baklava, and are used to make pistachio chocolate, biscotti and cold cuts like mortadella. In the United States, pistachio salad is made with fresh pistachios or pistachio pudding, whipped cream and canned fruit.
Most Valuable International Pistachio Suppliers
By value, the 5 biggest exporters of pistachios are the United States of America, Iran, Türkiye, Germany and Belgium). Combined, that subset of major suppliers sold 88.9% of all pistachios sold on international markets during 2022.
Applying a continental lens, exporters in North America supplied the highest dollar worth of exported pistachios during 2022 with shipments valued at $1.79 billion or 57.8% of the global total. In second place were exporters in Asia (24.6%) trailed by competitors in Europe (17.1%), Oceania (0.4%) mostly Australia, Africa (0.06%), then those in Latin America (0.01%) excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean.
Major International Pistachio Buyers
Shifting our focus to imports, the 5 leading importers of pistachios in 2022 were Germany, mainland China, Italy, Türkiye and Belgium. Collectively, that quintet of top import countries bought almost half (49.3%) of globally imported pistachios as measured by dollar value.
The above percentages suggest the total 73 exporters of pistachios (88.9% for the corresponding top 5 exporters) is a more concentrated cohort compared to over 150 buying countries, islands and territories. At 49.3%, the top 5 importers accounted for a much smaller share of its world total for imported pistachios.
As for global imports of pistachios by continent, 51.4% of pistachios purchased on international markets was delivered to customers in Europe ahead of importers in Asia (42.9%), Africa (2.4%), North America (2.2%), Oceania (0.8%) led by Australia, then Latin America (0.3%) excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean.
For research purposes, the 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix is 080251 for fresh or dried pistachios in shell, and 080252 for fresh or dried shelled pistachios.
Top Pistachios Exports by Country
Below are the top 20 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of pistachios during 2022, regardless of whether the shipped pistachios were in-shell or shelled.
- United States: US$1.8 billion (57.8% of total pistachio exports)
- Iran: $355.5 million (11.5%)
- Türkiye: $257.9 million (8.3%)
- Germany: $247.7 million (8%)
- Belgium: $103.1 million (3.3%)
- Netherlands: $51.1 million (1.7%)
- Italy: $39.5 million (1.3%)
- Spain: $31.6 million (1%)
- Afghanistan: $30 million (1%)
- Syria: $28 million (0.9%)
- Greece: $26.3 million (0.9%)
- United Arab Emirates: $26.2 million (0.8%)
- Hong Kong: $25.4 million (0.8%)
- China: $21.7 million (0.7%)
- Australia: $12 million (0.4%)
- France: $6.8 million (0.2%)
- Vietnam: $4.9 million (0.2%)
- Slovakia: $4.8 million (0.2%)
- Luxembourg: $4.6 million (0.1%)
- Armenia: $3.3 million (0.1%)
By value, the listed 20 countries shipped 99.2% of globally exported pistachios in 2022.
Among the top exporters, the fastest-growing pistachios exporters since 2021 were: Australia (up 291.3%), Slovakia (up 98.4%), Greece (up 85.7%) and mainland China (up 57.1%).
Major suppliers that posted declines in their exported pistachios sales were led by: Vietnam (down -69.3% from 2021), Hong Kong (down -66.2%), United Arab Emirates (down -64.1%), Iran (down -61.1%) and Luxembourg (down -56.7%).
Top Pistachios Imports by Country
Overall spending of $2.93 billion on imported pistachios fell by -1.8% over the 5-year period starting from $2.98 billion in 2018 and plunged by a -17.4% year-over-year drop compared to $3.55 billion for 2022.
Below are the 20 best buying markets as measured by the highest dollar value worth of pistachios imported during 2022, for any pistachios regardless of whether shelled or not.
- Germany: US$471.1 million (16.1% of total pistachio imports)
- China: $296.7 million (10.1%)
- Italy: $249.7 million (8.5%)
- Türkiye: $226.8 million (7.7%)
- Belgium: $199.9 million (6.8%)
- India: $168.9 million (5.8%)
- Spain: $131.1 million (4.5%)
- Vietnam: $111.8 million (3.8%)
- France: $87.5 million (3%)
- Saudi Arabia: $73.7 million (2.5%)
- Netherlands: $72.5 million (2.5%)
- United Arab Emirates: $70.5 million (2.4%)
- United Kingdom: $66.7 million (2.3%)
- Israel: $51.1 million (1.7%)
- Japan: $50.1 million (1.7%)
- Luxembourg: $44.9 million (1.5%)
- Poland: $43.8 million (1.5%)
- Mexico: $35.1 million (1.2%)
- Jordan: $27.5 million (0.9%)
- Hong Kong: $25.1 million (0.9%)
By value, the listed 20 countries bought 85.5% of globally imported pistachios in 2022.
Among the top importers, the fastest-growing pistachios importers since 2021 were: Türkiye (up 84%), Belgium (up 71.9%), United Kingdom (up 34.7%) and Mexico (up 28.2%).
Major buyer countries that posted declines in their imported pistachios purchases were led by: Hong Kong (down -76.1% from 2021), mainland China (down -64.7%), Luxembourg (down -40.7%), Jordan (down -18.7%) and India (down -18.6%).
Imported In-Shell Pistachios: Lowest and Highest Unit Prices
In 2022, the world’s average unit price for imported in-shell pistachios was an estimated US$6,849 per ton. That dollar metric results from a -10% reduction from the average $7,612 per ton for 2021.
The average tonnage charge for the number one importer of unshelled pistachios, Germany, was higher at $8,043.
Ranked in ascending order, listed below are the countries paying the lowest average unit prices for imported in-shell pistachios in 2022.
- Afghanistan: US$756 per ton (down -86.3% from 2021)
- Ivory Coast: $1,000 per ton (down -88.9%)
- Burkina Faso: $1,000 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Pakistan: $1,017 per ton (down -9.7%)
- Barbados: $1,250 per ton (down -53.1%)
- Uzbekistan: $1,469 per ton (up 37.3%)
- Estonia: $1,506 per ton (down -55.4%)
- Tajikistan: $1,623 per ton (up 88.1%)
- Democratic Rep. Congo: $2,000 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Angola: $2,333 per ton (up 40%)
- Kazakhstan: $2,695 per ton (down -22.8%)
- Cambodia: $3,000 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Fiji: $3,000 per ton (up 200%)
- Tunisia: $3,545 per ton (up 28%)
- Grenada: $3,750 per ton (down -46.4%)
The greatest reductions in average unit price paid per ton for in-shell pistachios were enjoyed by low-cost importers in Ivory Coast (down -88.9% from 2021), Afghanistan (down -86.3%), Estonia (down -55.4%) and Barbados (down -53.1%).
The following countries paid the highest average unit prices for imported in-shell pistachios.
- Finland: US$173,333 per ton (up 1,436% from 2021)
- Nicaragua: $20,000 per ton (up 100%)
- Bermuda: $18,286 per ton (up 103.2%)
- Botswana: $14,000 per ton (up 223.1%)
- Brunei Darussalam: $13,667 per ton (up 95.2%)
- Honduras: $13,667 per ton (up 75%)
- Albania: $13,500 per ton (up 101%)
- New Zealand: $13,143 per ton (down -9.5%)
- Jamaica: $13,000 per ton (up 109.7%)
- Venezuela: $12,600 per ton (down -16%)
- Austria: $12,492 per ton (down -12.9%)
- El Salvador: $12,429 per ton (down -2.3%)
- Macao: $12,165 per ton (up 15.7%)
- Singapore: $11,402 per ton (up 20.8%)
- Dominican Republic: $11,316 per ton (down -21%)
Experiencing the strongest pistachio inflation in terms of higher average unit prices paid in 2022 compared to 2021 were: Finland (up 1,436%), Botswana (up 223.1%), Jamaica (up 109.7%), Bermuda (up 103.2%), Albania (up 101%) then Nicaragua (up 100%).
Imported Shelled Pistachios: Lowest and Highest Unit Prices
In 2022, the world’s average unit price for imported shelled pistachios was an estimated US$9,293 per ton. That dollar average is higher than that for unshelled versions, caused in part due to labor costs.
The average unit price for shelled pistachio imports fell by -23.6% compared to $12,171 per ton for 2021.
The average tonnage charge for the number one importer of shelled pistachios, Germany, was higher at $13,835.
Ranked in ascending order, listed below are the countries paying the lowest average unit prices for imported shelled pistachios in 2022.
- Ghana: US$167 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Democratic Rep. Congo: $333 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Senegal: $667 per ton (down -33.3% from 2021)
- Ivory Coast: $753 per ton (down -20.7%)
- Uzbekistan: $842 per ton (up 37.8%)
- Pakistan: $907 per ton (down -35.8%)
- Liberia: $1,000 per ton (no change)
- Rwanda: $1,000 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Kyrgyzstan: $1,167 per ton (up 58.8%)
- Nigeria: $1,353 per ton (2021 data unavailable)
- Angola: $1,417 per ton (down -25%)
- Benin: $2,000 per ton (down -50%)
- Panama: $2,233 per ton (down -4.8%)
- Afghanistan: $2,320 per ton (down -73.5%)
- Grenada: $2,333 per ton (down -53.3%)
The greatest average price decreases were posted by low-cost importers in Afghanistan (down -73.5% from 2021), Grenada (down -53.3%), Benin (down -50%), Pakistan (down -35.8%) and Senegal (down -33.3%).
The following countries paid the highest average unit prices for imported shelled pistachios.
- Taiwan: US$35,429 per ton (up 15.8% from 2021)
- Switzerland: $26,481 per ton (down -11.7%)
- French Polynesia: $24,000 per ton (down -57.1%)
- Dominican Republic: $24,000 per ton (up 71.4%)
- Maldives: $23,333 per ton (up 34.2%)
- Latvia: $23,200 per ton (up 17.2%)
- Austria: $22,933 per ton (down -9.9%)
- Macao: $22,500 per ton (up 24.1%)
- Bermuda: $20,833 per ton (up 64.5%)
- Japan: $20,112 per ton (up 2.3%)
- Ecuador: $20,000 per ton (up 27.7%)
- Jamaica: $20,000 per ton (up 160.9%)
- Estonia: $19,737 per ton (up 403.1%)
- Iceland: $19,667 per ton (down -5.4%)
- Singapore: $19,034 per ton (up 24.8%)
The greatest increases for shelled pistachio average unit prices paid were recorded for buyers in: Estonia (up 403.1% from 2021), Jamaica (up 160.9%), Dominican Republic (up 71.4%) then Bermuda (up 64.5%).
See also Top Peanuts Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices, Top Almonds Exporters by Country, Top Walnut Exporters by Country, Top Cashews Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices, Top Hazelnuts Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices, Top Brazil Nuts Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices and Top Chestnuts Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices
Alibaba, Pistachio Showroom. Accessed on September 6, 2023
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on September 6, 2023
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on September 6, 2023
Wikipedia, Pistachio. Accessed on September 6, 2023