Year over year, revenues generated from the international sale of walnuts posted a 2.9% gain compared to $3.44 billion for 2020.
The 5 biggest exporters of walnuts are the United States of America, Mexico, Chile, mainland China, and Germany. Collectively, that cohort of exporters shipped over a four-fifths (81.6%) of walnuts sold on international markets in 2021. That percentage indicates a relatively high concentration of sellers.
Walnut Exports In-Shell Versus Shelled
The value of exported in-shell walnuts amounted to $1.118 billion in 2021, compared to $2.418 billion for shelled walnuts. The latter dollar amount accounts for more than three-fifths (68.4%) of overall exported walnuts compared to 31.6% for in-shell walnuts.
The value of globally exported in-shell walnuts depreciated by -6.2% since 2017 and retreated by -3.9% versus 2020.
In contrast, worldwide exports of shelled walnuts rose in global sales by 6.5% compared to 2017 and by 6.4% from one year earlier in 2020.
Among continents, suppliers located in North America shipped the highest dollar worth of overall exported walnuts during 2021 with shipments totaling $1.83 billion or more than half (51.7%) of the global total. In second place were exporters in Asia at 17.1% while another 16.8% of worldwide walnuts shipments originated from North America, with 14% from Latin America excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean.
Tinier percentages came from Oceania (0.4%) mostly Australia, and Africa (0.08%).
For research purposes, the respective 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefixes are 080231 for in-shell walnuts and 080232 for shelled walnuts.
Top Walnuts Exporters by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of combined in-shell and shelled walnuts during 2021.
- United States: US$1.3 billion (35.4% of overall walnut exports)
- Mexico: $577.8 million (16.3%)
- Chile: $468 million (13.2%)
- China: $465.9 million (13.2%)
- Germany: $123.8 million (3.5%)
- Ukraine: $116.3 million (3.3%)
- France: $102 million (2.9%)
- Turkey: $79.4 million (2.2%)
- Moldova: $50.8 million (1.4%)
- Netherlands: $49.1 million (1.39%)
- Romania: $41.2 million (1.16%)
- Argentina: $19.4 million (0.55%)
- Austria: $17.2 million (0.49%)
- Spain: $14.4 million (0.41%)
- Belgium: $13.9 million (0.39%)
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of walnuts since 2017 were: mainland China (up 339%), Turkey (up 143.5%), Netherlands (up 22.8%) and Romania (up 21.6%).
Those countries that posted declines in their international sales of exported walnuts were led by: Moldova (down -48.2%), Belgium (down -41.8%), France (down -27.8%) and Spain (down -17.8%).
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 95.9% of all walnuts exported in 2021.
Top Exporters of In-Shell Walnuts
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of in-shell walnuts during 2021.
- United States: US$382.5 million (34.2% of exported in-shell walnuts)
- China: $237 million (21.2%)
- Chile: $230.4 million (20.6%)
- France: $77.7 million (6.9%)
- Mexico: $71.3 million (6.4%)
- Turkey: $34.1 million (3%)
- Argentina: $12.4 million (1.1%)
- Australia: $11 million (1%)
- Ukraine: $9.6 million (0.9%)
- Netherlands: $9.1 million (0.8%)
- Belgium: $6.8 million (0.6%)
- Spain: $4.3 million (0.4%)
- United Arab Emirates: $49 million (0.4%)
- Germany: $2.7 million (0.2%)
- Italy: $2.5 million (0.2%)
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of in-shell walnuts since 2017 were: Turkey (up 40,436%), mainland China (up 660%), Ukraine (up 110.1%) and the Netherlands (up 18.4%).
Those countries that posted declines in their international sales of in-shell walnuts were led by: United Arab Emirates (down -94.6%), Germany (down -65.2%), Mexico (down -50.2%) and Spain (down -44.1%).
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 97.9% of all in-shell walnuts exported in 2021.
Top Exporters of Shelled Walnuts
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of shelled walnuts during 2021.
- United States: US$869.2 million (35.9% of exported shelled walnuts)
- Mexico: $506.5 million (20.9%)
- Chile: $237.6 million (9.8%)
- China: $228.9 million (9.5%)
- Germany: $121.1 million (5%)
- Ukraine: $106.7 million (4.4%)
- Moldova: $49.8 million (2.1%)
- Turkey: $45.4 million (1.9%)
- Romania: $41 million (1.7%)
- Netherlands: $40 million (1.7%)
- France: $24.3 million (1%)
- Austria: $16.6 million (0.7%)
- Czech Republic: $13.8 million (0.6%)
- Uzbekistan: $11.8 million (0.49%)
- Vietnam: $10.9 million (0.45%)
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of shelled walnuts since 2017 were: Viet Nam (up 7,469%), mainland China (up 205.1%), Czech Republic (up 192.6%) and Turkey (up 39.4%).
Four major suppliers posted declines in their international sales of shelled walnuts namely Uzbekistan (down -49%), Moldova (down -48.1%), France (down -31%) and Chile (down -6.9%).
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 96.1% of all shelled walnuts exported in 2021.
Walnut Exporting Companies
According to global trading platform Alibaba, the following suppliers sell walnuts to customers worldwide. The home-country location for each business is shown within parentheses.
- Aldera (Turkey)
- Cucku Enterprises Private Limited (India)
- Gervais Henri Florent (France)
- Ghoenert Verwaltungs GMBH (Germany)
- Healthy Food Ltd (Hong Kong)
- Intertransproduct LLC (Ukraine)
- Land Growers Chile Exportaciones Y Asesorias LtdA (Chile)
- Marandi Trading & Marketing SRL (Romania)
- Mave Enterprises Inc (United States)
- Qingdao Sunfine Co, Ltd (China)
See also Top Almonds Exporters by Country, Grapes Exports by Country, Top Soft Drinks Exporters by Country, Top Figs Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices and Top Sweet Dates Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices
Alibaba, Supplier showroom for walnuts. Accessed on August 16, 2022
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on August 16, 2022
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on August 16, 2022
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on August 16, 2022
Wikipedia, Walnut. Accessed on August 16, 2022