That dollar amount results from an average -8.2% decrease for all global shippers of walnuts from $3.51 billion five years earlier in 2018.
Year over year, revenues generated from the international sale of walnuts posted a -3.5% drop compared to $3.69 billion for 2021.
The 5 biggest exporters of walnuts are the United States of America, Mexico, Chile, mainland China and Germany. Collectively, that cohort of exporters shipped well over four-fifths (85.1%) of walnuts sold on international markets in 2022. That percentage indicates a relatively high concentration of sellers.
Walnut Exports In-Shell Versus Shelled
The value of exported in-shell walnuts amounted to $1.097 billion in 2022, compared to $2.289 billion for shelled walnuts. The latter dollar amount for shelled walnuts accounts for more than three-fifths (67.6%) of overall exported walnuts compared to 32.4% for in-shell walnuts.
The value of globally exported in-shell walnuts depreciated by -6% since 2018 and shrank by -10% versus international sales in 2021.
In comparison, worldwide exports of shelled walnuts fell by -2.6% compared to 2018 and by -7.3% from one year earlier in 2021.
Among continents, walnut suppliers located in North America shipped the highest dollar worth of exported walnuts (both shelled and unshelled) during 2022 with shipments totaling $1.81 billion or more than half (53.6%) of the global total. In second place were exporters in Asia at 16.5% while 15% of worldwide walnuts shipments originated from Europe, with another 14.4% sent from Latin America excluding Mexico but including the Caribbean.
Tinier percentages came from sellers in Oceania (0.3%) mostly Australia, and Africa (0.12%).
For research purposes, the respective 6-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefixes are 080231 for in-shell walnuts and 080232 for shelled walnuts.
Top Walnuts Exporters by Country
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of combined in-shell and shelled walnuts during 2022.
- United States: US$1.3 billion (37.6% of overall exported walnuts)
- Mexico: $567.9 million (16.8%)
- Chile: $498.8 million (14.7%)
- China: $417.2 million (12.3%)
- Germany: $122.8 million (3.6%)
- Ukraine: $111.5 million (3.3%)
- Türkiye: $94.8 million (2.8%)
- France: $86 million (2.5%)
- Moldova: $51.7 million (1.5%)
- Netherlands: $48 million (1.42%)
- Romania: $41.2 million (1.22%)
- Austria: $17.5 million (0.52%)
- Belgium: $15.4 million (0.46%)
- Czech Republic: $13.8 million (0.41%)
- Vietnam: $12.7 million (0.38%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 99.7% of all walnuts exported in 2022.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of walnuts since 2018 were: Vietnam (up 8,432%), mainland China (up 199.5%), Czech Republic (up 192.5%) and Türkiye (up 191%).
Leading suppliers that posted declines in their international sales of exported walnuts were led by: Moldova (down -47% from 2021), Belgium (down -38.6%), France (down -33%) and Mexico (down -9.6%).
Top Exporters of In-Shell Walnuts
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of in-shell walnuts during 2022.
- United States: US$404.5 million (36.9% of exported in-shell walnuts)
- Chile: $261.2 million (23.8%)
- China: $188.3 million (17.2%)
- France: $61.7 million (5.6%)
- Mexico: $61.3 million (5.6%)
- Türkiye: $49.4 million (4.5%)
- Australia: $10.2 million (0.9%)
- Belgium: $8.3 million (0.8%)
- Netherlands: $8 million (0.7%)
- United Arab Emirates: $5.3 million (0.5%)
- Ukraine: $4.8 million (0.4%)
- Argentina: $4 million (0.4%)
- Kyrgyzstan: $3.13 million (0.3%)
- Iran: $2.63 million (0.2%)
- Spain: $2.59 million (0.2%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 97.9% of all in-shell walnuts exported in 2022.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of in-shell walnuts since 2018 were: Türkiye (up 154,263%), Kyrgyzstan (up 672.1%), mainland China (up 193%) and Chile (up 20.1%).
Those countries that posted declines in their international sales of in-shell walnuts were led by: United Arab Emirates (down -94.2% from 2021), Argentina (down -69.8%), Mexico (down -66.5%) and Spain (down -62.8%).
Top Exporters of Shelled Walnuts
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of shelled walnuts during 2022.
- United States: US$882.3 million (38.6% of exported shelled walnuts)
- Mexico: $466 million (20.4%)
- Chile: $213.5 million (9.3%)
- China: $200.6 million (8.8%)
- Germany: $121 million (5.3%)
- Ukraine: $75.3 million (3.3%)
- Türkiye: $55.1 million (2.4%)
- Moldova: $48 million (2.1%)
- Romania: $37.2 million (1.6%)
- Netherlands: $33.3 million (1.5%)
- France: $22.2 million (1%)
- Czech Republic: $13.9 million (0.6%)
- Uzbekistan: $11 million (0.48%)
- Austria: $10 million (0.44%)
- Vietnam: $9.1 million (0.40%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 96.1% of all shelled walnuts exported in 2022.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of shelled walnuts since 2018 were: Czech Republic (up 220.6%), Vietnam (up 210.8%), mainland China (up 134.1%) and Türkiye (up 86.2%).
Those countries that posted declines in their international sales of shelled walnuts were led by: Moldova (down -49.1% from 2021), Austria (down -39.2%), France (down -32.6%) and Ukraine (down -30.4%).
Walnut Exporting Companies
According to global trading platform Alibaba, the following suppliers sell walnuts to customers worldwide. The home-country location for each business is shown within parentheses.
- Aldera (Turkey)
- Cucku Enterprises Private Limited (India)
- Gervais Henri Florent (France)
- Ghoenert Verwaltungs GMBH (Germany)
- Healthy Food Ltd (Hong Kong)
- Intertransproduct LLC (Ukraine)
- Land Growers Chile Exportaciones Y Asesorias LtdA (Chile)
- Marandi Trading & Marketing SRL (Romania)
- Mave Enterprises Inc (United States)
- Qingdao Sunfine Co, Ltd (China)
See also Top Almonds Exporters by Country, Grapes Exports by Country, Top Soft Drinks Exporters by Country, Top Figs Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices and Top Sweet Dates Exports & Imports by Country Plus Average Prices
Alibaba, Supplier showroom for walnuts. Accessed on September 14, 2023
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on September 14, 2023
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on September 14, 2023
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on September 14, 2023
Wikipedia, Walnut. Accessed on September 14, 2023