Global sales from potatoes exports by country amounted to US$4.33 billion during 2018 for spuds in their raw form. In addition, the value of shipments for prepared or preserved potatoes including frozen French fries represents another $10.1 billion.
Overall, the value of raw potatoes exports declined in value by an average -0.1% for all exporting countries since 2014 when raw potatoes shipments were valued at $4.34 billion. Total prepared or preserved potatoes shipments including frozen French fries appreciated by 15.5% over the same 5-year period.
The 4-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix for raw potatoes is 0701. The 6-digit prefix for frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries is 200410 while 200520 is the 6-digit prefix for unfrozen potatoes prepared or preserved with vinegar or acetic acid.
Potatoes Exports by Country: Raw
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of unprocessed raw potatoes shipped during 2018.
- Netherlands: US$793.9 million (18.3% of total exported raw potatoes)
- France: $642 million (14.8%)
- Germany: $374 million (8.6%)
- China: $261.2 million (6%)
- Canada: $252.2 million (5.8%)
- United States of America: $235.8 million (5.4%)
- Egypt: $206.9 million (4.8%)
- Iran: $203 million (4.7%)
- Belgium: $199.3 million (4.6%)
- Spain: $153.7 million (3.5%)
- United Kingdom: $144 million (3.3%)
- Pakistan: $120.9 million (2.8%)
- Denmark: $70.2 million (1.6%)
- Israel: $63.4 million (1.5%)
- India: $57.4 million (1.3%)
The above countries produced 87.2% of raw potatoes exported during 2018.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing raw potatoes exporters since 2014 were: Pakistan (up 136%), Spain (up 74.6%), Iran (up 26.4%) and Canada (up 26%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported raw potatoes sales were led by: Israel (down -51%), India (down -47.7%), Egypt (down -36.7%), Netherlands (down -11.9%) and Denmark (down -7.1%).
Potatoes Exports by Country: Prepared or Preserved
Frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries amounted to $7.5 billion in export sales for 2018 (thus equaling 79.4% of the overall prepared or preserved total), while international shipments of unfrozen prepared or preserved potatoes were worth another $2.6 billion (representing 20.6%).
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of prepared or preserved potatoes during 2018, including both frozen and unfrozen goods.
- Belgium: US$2.26 billion (22.4% of total frozen prepared/preserved potatoes exports)
- Netherlands: $2.25 billion (22.4%)
- United States: $1.4 billion (14.1%)
- Canada: $1.2 billion (11.7%)
- Germany: $483.9 million (4.8%)
- France: $476.9 million (4.7%)
- Poland: $325.6 million (3.2%)
- United Kingdom: $301.9 million (3%)
- Argentina: $155 million (1.5%)
- Iran: $127.1 million (1.3%)
- Spain: $104.3 million (1%)
- Mexico: $96.3 million (1%)
- New Zealand: $73 million (0.7%)
- Russia: $69 million (0.7%)
- Austria: $67.9 million (0.7%)
The 15 countries listed immediately above shipped 93.3% of all prepared or preserved spuds in 2018, regardless if frozen or unfrozen.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing frozen prepared/preserved potatoes exporters since 2014 were: Iran (up 225.2%), Spain (up 48.8%), Poland (up 45.9%) and United Kingdom (up 28.0%).
Three countries posted declines in their exported frozen prepared/preserved potatoes sales namely: Argentina (down -19.1%), New Zealand (down -9.4%) and Russia (down -3.8%).
See also Potatoes Imports by Country, Asparagus Exports by Country, Top Sweet Pepper and Chili Pepper Exports and Top Cucumbers Exporting Countries
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on May 8, 2019
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on May 8, 2019
The World Factbook, Field Listing: Exports – Commodities, Central Intelligence Agency. Accessed on May 8, 2019
Trade Map, International Trade Centre. Accessed on August 9, 2019
Wikipedia, Potato. Accessed on May 8, 2019