Overall, the value of exported raw potatoes expanded in value by an average 6.6% for all exporting countries since 2016 when raw potatoes shipments were valued at $4 billion. Total prepared or preserved potatoes shipments including frozen French fries appreciated by 7.2% over the same 5-year period.
Year over year, the value of exported raw potatoes declined by -15.1% from 2019 to 2020. The annual decrease for prepared or preserved potatoes including frozen French fries fell in total value by -9.7%.
For research purposes, the 4-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix for raw potatoes is 0701. The 6-digit prefix for frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries is 200410 while 200520 is the 6-digit prefix for unfrozen potatoes prepared or preserved with vinegar or acetic acid.
Potatoes Exports by Country: Raw
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of unprocessed raw potatoes shipped during 2020.
- Netherlands: US$825.9 million (19.4% of exported raw potatoes)
- France: $684.3 million (16.1%)
- Germany: $372.5 million (8.7%)
- Canada: $295.9 million (6.9%)
- China: $289.7 million (6.8%)
- United States: $244.5 million (5.7%)
- Belgium: $225.5 million (5.3%)
- Egypt: $221.9 million (5.2%)
- United Kingdom: $135.9 million (3.2%)
- Spain: $115.4 million (2.7%)
- India: $71.6 million (1.7%)
- Pakistan: $69.8 million (1.6%)
- Israel: $60.3 million (1.4%)
- Denmark: $54.4 million (1.3%)
- Russia: $50.5 million (1.2%)
By value, the above countries produced 87.3% of raw potatoes exported during 2020.
Among the above countries, three grew their raw potatoes exports since 2019 namely Russia (up 37.1%), Canada (up 29.3%) and Israel (up 18.5%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported raw potatoes sales were led by: Pakistan (down -39.6%), Spain (down -32.6%), China (down -27.2%), United Kingdom (down -25.4%) and Denmark (down -20.4%).
Potatoes Exports by Country: Prepared or Preserved
Frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries amounted to $6.8 billion in export sales for 2020 (thus equaling 73.5% of the overall prepared or preserved total), while international shipments of unfrozen prepared or preserved potatoes were worth another $2.5 billion (representing 26.5%).
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of prepared or preserved potatoes during 2020, including both frozen and unfrozen goods.
- Turkey: US$2 billion (21.6% of exported frozen prepared/preserved potatoes)
- India: $1.5 billion (15.8%)
- Belgium: $1.3 billion (14.1%)
- Poland: $1.2 billion (12.6%)
- Netherlands: $537.7 million (5.7%)
- France: $387.8 million (4.1%)
- United States: $320.4 million (3.4%)
- Austria: $295.4 million (3.2%)
- United Kingdom: $256.1 million (2.7%)
- Germany: $198.2 million (2.1%)
- Canada: $177.8 million (1.9%)
- Argentina: $153.0 million (1.6%)
- Spain: $107.8 million (1.2%)
- Russia: $100.1 million (1.1%)
- Egypt: $58.4 million (0.6%)
By value the 15 countries listed above shipped 91.9% of all prepared or preserved spuds in 2020, encompassing both frozen or unfrozen products.
Among the above countries, only three increased their international sales of frozen prepared or preserved potatoes from 2019 to 2020. That trio of gainers was comprised of Netherlands (up 67.5%), United Kingdom (up 6.2%) and Poland (up 3%).
Those countries that posted declines in their exported frozen prepared or preserved potatoes were led by: Russia (down -70.2%), Spain (down -63%), Egypt (down -56.4%), United States (down -28.8%) and Argentina (down -26.2%).
See also Potatoes Imports by Country, Sweet Potatoes vs Yams by Export Sales, Unit Price & Weight, Asparagus Exports by Country, Top Sweet Pepper and Chili Pepper Exports and Top Cucumbers Exporting Countries
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on June 21, 2021
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on June 21, 2021
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on June 21, 2021
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on June 21, 2021
Wikipedia, Potato. Accessed on June 21, 2021