Overall, the value of exported raw potatoes expanded in value by an average 34.3% for all exporting countries since 2015 when raw potatoes shipments were valued at $3.61 billion. Total prepared or preserved potatoes shipments including frozen French fries appreciated by 62.6% over the same 5-year period.
The 4-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix for raw potatoes is 0701. The 6-digit prefix for frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries is 200410 while 200520 is the 6-digit prefix for unfrozen potatoes prepared or preserved with vinegar or acetic acid.
Potatoes Exports by Country: Raw
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of unprocessed raw potatoes shipped during 2019.
- Netherlands: US$1 billion (21.2% of total exported raw potatoes)
- France: $815.8 million (16.8%)
- Germany: $436.2 million (9%)
- China: $398.1 million (8.2%)
- Egypt: $259.6 million (5.4%)
- United States: $255.5 million (5.3%)
- Belgium: $234.2 million (4.8%)
- Canada: $228.8 million (4.7%)
- United Kingdom: $182.2 million (3.8%)
- Spain: $175.5 million (3.6%)
- India: $72.2 million (1.5%)
- Italy: $70.5 million (1.5%)
- Denmark: $68.5 million (1.4%)
- Cyprus: $54.1 million (1.1%)
- Israel: $50.9 million (1%)
The above countries produced 89.3% of raw potatoes exported during 2019.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of raw potatoes since 2015 were: France (up 74.9%), China (up 74.7%), Spain (up 66.9%) and Netherlands (up 64.8%).
The lone top exporters to experience a reduction in their exported raw potatoes sales over the 5-year period was Israel, via its -39.1% drop.
Potatoes Exports by Country: Prepared or Preserved
Frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries amounted to $12.8 billion in export sales for 2019 (thus equaling 80.8% of the overall prepared or preserved total), while international shipments of unfrozen prepared or preserved potatoes were worth another $2.5 billion (representing 19.2%).
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of prepared or preserved potatoes during 2019, including both frozen and unfrozen goods.
- Belgium: US$2.57 billion (24.8% of frozen prepared/preserved potato exports)
- Netherlands: $2.27 billion (21.9%)
- United States: $1.5 billion (14.7%)
- Canada: $1.2 billion (11.3%)
- France: $495.4 million (4.8%)
- Germany: $470 million (4.5%)
- Argentina: $218.9 million (2.1%)
- Poland: $312.2 million (3%)
- New Zealand: $69.7 million (0.7%)
- United Kingdom: $266.5 million (2.6%)
- Austria: $63.1 million (0.6%)
- Turkey: $52.7 million (0.5%)
- Egypt: $31.1 million (0.3%)
- India: $29.6 million (0.3%)
- China: $31.9 million (0.3%)
The 15 countries listed above shipped 92.4% of all prepared or preserved spuds in 2019, regardless if frozen or unfrozen.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters of frozen prepared or preserved potatoes since 2015 were: Turkey (up 526.2%), India (up 228%), Poland (up 61.2%) and Belgium (up 60%).
Two top suppliers endured declines in their international sales of those types of exported potatoes, namely Egypt (down -53.1%) and China (down -14.4%).
See also Potatoes Imports by Country, Asparagus Exports by Country, Top Sweet Pepper and Chili Pepper Exports and Top Cucumbers Exporting Countries
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on May 6, 2020
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on May 6, 2020
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on May 6, 2020
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on May 6, 2020
Wikipedia, Potato. Accessed on May 6, 2020