Overall, the value of exported raw potatoes grew in value by an average 17.5% for all exporting countries since 2018 when raw potatoes shipments were valued at $4.37 billion.
Year over year, the value of exported raw potatoes gained 15.4% from $4.44 billion in 2021.
Beyond raw potatoes, the value of worldwide shipments for prepared or preserved potatoes including frozen French fries represents an additional $11.1 billion in international sales.
Total exports of prepared or preserved potatoes shipments including frozen French fries rose by 10.1% over the latest 5-year period.
In contrast, the annual change for prepared or preserved potatoes including frozen French fries flatlined via a 1.9% increase in total value from $10.9 billion for 2021.
For research purposes, the 4-digit Harmonized Tariff System code prefix for raw potatoes is 0701. The 6-digit prefix for frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries is 200410 while 200520 is the 6-digit prefix for unfrozen potatoes prepared or preserved with vinegar or acetic acid.
Potatoes Exports by Country: Raw
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of unprocessed raw potatoes shipped during 2022.
- Netherlands: US$964.5 million (18.8% of exported raw potatoes)
- France: $849.2 million (16.5%)
- Germany: $461.5 million (9%)
- Canada: $427.9 million (8.3%)
- Egypt: $316 million (6.2%)
- United States: $303.7 million (5.9%)
- China: $248.8 million (4.8%)
- Pakistan: $216.6 million (4.2%)
- Belgium: $216 million (4.2%)
- United Kingdom: $170.8 million (3.3%)
- Spain: $144.4 million (2.8%)
- India: $95.6 million (1.9%)
- Israel: $73.3 million (1.4%)
- Denmark: $58.5 million (1.1%)
- South Africa: $48.3 million (0.9%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 89.5% of raw potatoes exported worldwide in 2022.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing raw potatoes exporters since 2021 were: Pakistan (up 92.1%), Egypt (up 57.8%), Canada (up 46.2%) and India (up 34.8%).
Three major suppliers posted declines in their exported raw potatoes sales, namely: Israel (down -8.9% from 2021), South Africa (down -6%) and Denmark (down -0.3%).
Potatoes Exports by Country: Prepared or Preserved
Frozen prepared or preserved potatoes including French fries amounted to $8.1 billion in export sales for 2022 (thus equaling 72.8% of the overall prepared or preserved total), while international shipments of unfrozen prepared or preserved potatoes were worth another $3 billion (representing 27.2%).
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of prepared or preserved potatoes during 2022, including both frozen and unfrozen goods.
- Argentina: US$2.23 billion (20.1% of exported frozen prepared/preserved potatoes)
- France: $1.8 billion (16.7%)
- United States: $1.51 billion (13.7%)
- Germany: $1.46 billion (13.1%)
- Canada: $559.3 million (5%)
- Belgium: $535.2 million (4.8%)
- Netherlands: $440.7 million (4%)
- China: $361.7 million (3.3%)
- Türkiye: $212.4 million (1.9%)
- Russia: $207.7 million (1.9%)
- United Kingdom: $192.8 million (1.7%)
- Poland: $183.5 million (1.7%)
- Spain: $175.9 million (1.6%)
- Mexico: $125.8 million (1.1%)
- Egypt: $107.2 million (1%)
By value, the listed 15 countries shipped 91.6% of all prepared or preserved spuds in 2022, encompassing both frozen and unfrozen products.
Among the above countries, the fastest-growing exporters for these potato categories were: Argentina (up 988.8% from 2021), mainland China (up 363.1%), Türkiye (up 320.8%) and France (up 283.3%).
Five major suppliers recorded declines in their export sales, namely: Netherlands (down -79.7% from 2021), Belgium (down -78.7%), Canada (down -61.4%), Poland (down -49.1%) and the United Kingdom (down -2.7%).
See also Potatoes Imports by Country, Sweet Potatoes vs Yams by Export Sales, Unit Price & Weight, Asparagus Exports by Country, Top Sweet Pepper and Chili Pepper Exports and Top Cucumbers Exporting Countries
Central Intelligence Agency, The World Factbook Field Listing: Exports – Commodities. Accessed on August 18, 2023
Forbes Global 2000 rankings, The World’s Biggest Public Companies. Accessed on August 18, 2023
International Trade Centre, Trade Map. Accessed on August 18, 2023
Investopedia, Net Exports Definition. Accessed on August 18, 2023
Wikipedia, Potato. Accessed on August 18, 2023